David R. Helmick
David Helmick is a partner in Waldrep, Mullin & Callahan, LLC. He concentrates his practice in civil litigation including business disputes, personal injury claims, government defense, insurance and employment disputes, and health care matters. David represents individuals, businesses, elected officials, and government employees as plaintiff and defense counsel.
David is also an experienced criminal law practitioner. He maintains a focus in criminal defense and matters involving a criminal element, such as claims against businesses for false imprisonment and wrongful prosecution. He has obtained numerous successful outcomes in state and federal criminal defense matters, including representing members of the military and civilians charged with committing offenses at Ft. Benning, Georgia.
David joined Waldrep, Mullin & Callahan, LLC as an associate in 2012 and became a partner in 2015. In the past several years David has:
- Obtained a defense verdict as lead counsel for two law enforcement officials sued for excessive force;
- Obtained full dismissal in favor of several law enforcement clients sued over plaintiff's search and prosecution;
- Secured summary judgment for elected official in action claiming retaliation, discrimination and harassment;
- Secured recovery for murder victim’s family in federal lawsuit over victim’s life insurance policies;
- Overturned an insurance company’s denial of benefits to the family of an individual killed in a car wreck;
- Secured confidential settlement of clients’ false imprisonment claims to their satisfaction and secured multiple settlements of $200,000.00 or more for clients injured in motor vehicle collisions.
Prior to joining Waldrep, Mullin & Callahan, David was an Assistant District Attorney in the Muscogee County D.A.'s Office for eight years where he prosecuted major felonies including murders, armed robberies, and complex thefts. As a felony prosecutor he successfully prosecuted a large number of jury trials as lead counsel, argued twice successfully in the Georgia Supreme Court, and represented the prosecution in eleven reported appellate opinions and several capital appeals.
David is married to Amy and they have a young son and daughter. He is an active member of Trinity Episcopal Church which he has served in many different ways including as an elected vestry member, usher, and chair of the parish retreat committee.
Sewanee: University of the South – (2000) – B.A., Member of Swimming & Diving Team
Walter F. George School of Law, Mercer University – (2003) – J.D., Recipient of CALI Awards for Excellence in Real Estate Transactions and Domestic Relations
Professional and Community Affiliations
State Bar of Georgia
Columbus American Inn of Court (Barrister)
Columbus Bar Association
Columbus Trial Lawyer Association
Lawyers Club of Atlanta
Commission on Columbus, Georgia New Government and Judicial Building (2017-)
Columbus Aquatics Commission (2017-)
Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce Inter-City Leadership Conference (2017)
Georgia Legal Food Frenzy Competition (City Co-Chair, 2016)
American Red Cross of West Central Georgia (Board Member, 2014–2016)
Northside High School Mock Trial Program (Attorney Coach, 2011–2015)
Columbus–Muscogee County Charter Review Commission (2011-2012)
Chattahoochee Bar Association (President, 2011)
Trinity Episcopal Church (Vestry Member, 2010–2012)
Georgia Supreme Court (2004)
Georgia Court of Appeals (2004)
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia (2012)
Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals (2016)